About Me

My photo
Hello, My name is Ester. I absolutley adore Jesus! He is the center of my life. I am nothing without him. He has allowed a dream of mine to come true. I've always wanted a little boutique. I've been praying for the right time, the time is now! I am the mother of 3. I love my children, they keep life so exciting. I homeschool and I have one in traditional school. I love to craft, it could be a full time job. I love it that much. I like sewing, baking, bow- making, and all things family! I am married to my highschool sweetheart, you can read about that on my other blog. www.loveinmyhouse.blogspot.com.

Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Teaching Children how to be Good Stewards.

Today I am doing my first link-up!!! Wooohooo, I am getting the hang of this blog.
 I hope that I'm teaching my children how to be good stewards of their things.  I do question this at times.  When I look at their toys tossed about, or their clothes on the floor I wonder if I am teaching them anything at all, ha!  I know that I am teaching them something but I really want to dispaly being a good stewart of our blessings.  I want to make sure I am making a concious effort to teach them HOW to take care of things and WHY it's so important.  Seriously, nothing makes me madder than seeing something I bought for them being treated poorly.  I have attached feelings because I know the sacrafice it took to make it happen.  I understand that money doesn't come from a tree.  I know that something else was sacraficed for anything extra.
My children aren't really that bad, and they are quite grateful for their things but we all have room to grow.  Some of the things I've done to help is
* I make my children pay tithe and offering.
1. A chore/job chart- I looked  at several charts on the internet and pinterest then I created my own.  This changed my life.They feel more empowered and in control.  They have learned time management which is a life skill.  This has helped me , I am a VERY go with the flow kind of person  this has brought structure to our daily lives.  They earn stickers daily and money at the end of two weeks.
2.  I make them buy certain things for themselves.  They have to earn and save money to purchase certain things.  This has helped because it has attached their own hard work to the item.  The get the value of hard work and money.
3. When I see things on the floor like clothes or a toy or something not in use I will take it for a length of time.  Sometimes this is really hard because it may include a soccer sock before a game or a "special" something that they can't live without.  This was hard for me at first because I really would want to cave in but I didn't and they have learned to put their things away. 
4. Consistency is the key.  People say that ALL the time.  It is so true.  I struggle with consistency, I pray for God's help in this area.  When I am not consistent it disrupts more than just me.  I am a work in progress.
I have also tossed the idea around with doing Dave Ramsey for kids with them.  I really want them to learn now how to be good stewarts over their things and money.
Financial Peace Junior

No comments:

Post a Comment